The Amlong Firm The Amlong Firm

What Can An Employee Do About Sexual Harassment?

People who suffer sexual harassment can feel powerless, especially when they are told that there is nothing they can do about it. Victims of sexual harassment, however, have strong rights under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and many state laws. An experienced attorney from The Amlong Firm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, can tell you exactly what you can do to stop sexual harassment.

Speak Up

In many sexual harassment cases, especially those involving a hostile work environment, your co-workers may not even realize that their conduct is offensive. If you let them know how you feel about the conduct, this may resolve the problem; they may stop the offensive conduct out of a genuine concern for your sensibilities or a desire to avoid workplace tension. If the issue is not resolved, at least you have put the harassers on notice.

Complaint Procedures

If the offensive conduct does not stop, you still have options. Some companies have detailed procedures for handling sexual harassment complaints. If your company has such a procedure, you should follow it to the letter, taking note of any time limits set out in that policy. If your company has designated certain staff to receive sexual harassment complaints, then that is where you should bring your complaint.

If your company has no set procedure, speak with your immediate supervisor about the harassment. If your supervisor has been harassing you, make your complaint to the supervisor's immediate superior. It is important, particularly in hostile environment cases, to make sure that your company's management knows of the harassment.

Keep a record of your complaints. You should note the date and time of each complaint, the name and title of the person to whom the complaint was made and the response, if any, to your complaint.

Filing A Charge Of Discrimination

If you are unable to resolve your harassment complaint by using your employer's internal procedures and you wish to pursue the matter, you will need to file an administrative charge with the appropriate government agency — either the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or your state's human rights or civil rights enforcement agency. The agency will investigate your claim and attempt to resolve it by negotiating with your employer, if you desire. A lawyer can assist you with this process.

If the agency decides not to proceed with your complaint, either because the evidence does not establish the harassment or because the agency does not wish to file a lawsuit against your employer for another reason, it will issue you a "right to sue" notice. This means that you may bring your case to court.

If the agency finds significant evidence of harassment and it is not able to resolve the matter with your employer, it may file a lawsuit against your employer.


If the appropriate government agency issues a "right to sue" letter, you may bring a civil lawsuit for the injuries you suffered due to the sexual harassment. You do not need to show physical injuries. The most common injuries in sexual harassment cases are emotional.

If your sexual harassment suit is successful, your remedies may include:

  • Reinstatement, if you lost your job
  • Back pay, if you lost pay or missed out on a deserved raise
  • Lost fringe benefits
  • Damages for emotional distress
  • A requirement that your employer initiate policies or training to stop sexual harassment
  • Your attorney's fees and court costs

In some states, you may be able to obtain punitive damages if your employer acted with malice or reckless indifference.

Speak To An Employment Law Attorney

You are not powerless. You can take steps to stop sexual harassment. An experienced employment law attorney from The Amlong Firm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, can help you take those steps and obtain the justice you deserve.

quote image

Karen provided me with all of the information needed to enable me to make sound decisions supported by her recommendations each step of the way. Her strategy and control of the process resulted in a fair settlement without having to go through a trial by jury.

At the end of the day, I trust Karen Amlong. Her knowledge and experience is evident. She kept me and my best interests in the forefront at all times and everything we discussed during our initial consult ended up being spot on, even the timeline..

Regardless of how hard the opposition pushed, the Amlong Firm dug in, and defended even harder. The Amlong Firm not only fought on behalf of myself, but also for my family in regards to the harm they suffered.

Fighting for justice is exhausting. When the other lawyer is playing dirty tricks, it's reassuring to know that The Amlong Firm has gone all the way to the Supreme Court to fight for justice for for a client – and they won.

My phone calls always were answered, my questions and concerns were dealt with promptly. Knowing I had competent, respected representation at this very stressful time was step one in moving on.

The decision to obtain Karen Amlong was the best choice I could have made dealing with my case. I highly recommend this attorney for anyone who is looking for a strong, aggressive attorney.

quote image

Protect Your Rights And Your Job

Get The Legal Help You Need

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

500 Northeast Fourth Street
Suite 200
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Toll Free: 877-367-4440
Phone: 954-519-2235
Fort Lauderdale Employment Law Office